Restoril Temazepam 30mg
- Brand: Novartis
- Product Code: SKU14
- Availability: 9860
(brand names Restoril and Normison, among others) is an intermediate-acting 3-hydroxy hypnotic of the benzodiazepine class of psychoactive drugs. Temazepam is approved for the short-term treatment of insomnia. In addition, temazepam has anxoilytic (anti-anxiety), anticonvulsant, and skeletal muscle relaxant properties.
Temazepam was first synthesized in 1964, but it first came into use in 1969 when its ability to counter insomnia was realized.By the late 1980, temazepam was one of the most popular and widely prescribed hypnotics on the market and it became one of the most widely prescribed drugs.
Temazepam is a hypnotic agent. In sleep laboratory studies, temazepam significantly decreased the number of nightly awakeningsbut has the drawback of distorting the normal sleep pattern.
Temazepam is officially indicated for severe insomnia and other severe or disabling sleep disorders. The prescribing guidelines in the UK limit the prescribing of hypnotics to two-to-four weeks due to concerns oftolerance and dependence.
The United States Air Force uses temazepam as one of the hypnotics approved as "no-go pills" to help aviators and special duty personnel sleep in support of mission readiness. "Ground tests" are required prior to authorization being issued to use the medication in an operational situation.
Use of temazepam should be avoided, when possible, in individuals with the following conditions:
· Ataxia (gross lack of coordination of muscle movements)
· Severe hypoventilation
· Acute narrow-angle glaucoma
· Severe hepatic deficiencies (hepatitis and liver cirrhosis decrease elimination by a factor of 2)
· Severe renal deficiencies (e.g. patients on dialysis)
· Sleep apnea
· Severe depression, particularly when accompanied by suicidal tendencies
· Acute intoxication with alcohol, narcotics, or other psychoactive substances